What I love most about my career is the people I work with. Not only are they brilliant, driven, and often times hilarious people, but they have incredibly huge hearts. We're practically like a family. Still, I never in a million years expected them to secretly plan an amazing surprise baby shower for me! I thought, maybe, on my last day of work they'd get me a cake (which I was REALLY looking forward to eating). :)
Well, Thursday, March 13th came around and it had been a grueling, exhausting week of meetings all day, every day and multiple senior management reviews. I was ready to take Friday off completely to recuperate! At the very least, I needed to work from home Friday so I could take it easy, switching up positions as sitting at a desk all day in an uncomfortable chair quickly becomes painful when you're 31 weeks pregnant!
Come to find out my boss issues an in-person, urgent meeting for Friday afternoon (the very next day)...great, work from home plans...down the drain.
I think I slept walked my way out of bed Friday morning, and I'm really not sure how I got to work, I was that exhausted. At least I took the time to shower. :)
1:00pm came around - time for this big important in-person meeting. Yet again, another grueling day...I hadn't eaten lunch yet, so I grabbed by lunch, my huge 33 oz water bottle (baby gets thirsty lately), and my laptop and followed my boss to a conference room. I noticed as we approached the door, that there were people in our room...I rolled my eyes and thought...super! now I have to carry all this heavy stuff to another room far away. I think I even said to my boss "oh, great...people are squatting in our room." Ha.
He then said to me, "oh, it's okay, I'll kick them out because I have it reserved." He swung the door open and there were about 20 of my closest past and present co-workers yelling "surprise!" I glanced around the room and saw all the smiling faces, adorable pink balloons and decorations, the cutest cake I've ever seen, and a bunch of presents. I couldn't believe it! How in the world did they plan this?
This pic isn't the best quality, but this was taken from inside the conference room right when the door was opened...you luckily can't see my mouth gaping open in surprise :)
My boss was kind enough to take the laptop from my hands...
They even made arrangements to have Dee there, and Teri was sweet enough to scheme with his boss to make it a surprise for him too! Many benefits to having your spouse work at the same company, but I still never expected this to be one of them! :)
We were told that all our co-workers (even those remote in Texas and Puerto Rico) chipped in to buy us gifts to get us started with baby Ava....extremely generous gifts. We are so humbled by everyone's generosity. We were given some adorable clothes and shoes that we can't wait to dress her in, and they also bought us our Uppababy stroller and Video Baby Monitor!
We spent time talking with everyone, sharing in our excitement of becoming parents and enjoyed some delicious chocolate strawberry cake!
It was an extremely special memory than neither Dee nor I will ever forget. We are so grateful to our amazing co-workers who planned this and gave us the opportunity to celebrate the most exciting time in our lives with the people we work with...who are truly friends, and many like family! We are just so incredibly blessed.

No comments:
Post a Comment