Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Ahhh...4th of July. That time of year when it is so stinkin' hot outside you're almost willing to walk around naked. That time of year when you see the red, white, and blue flying everywhere it should be at all times. That time of year for pool parties, BBQs, and fireworks! Well, we did none of that this year...

Instead, we took advantage of the vacation days and went up to visit the Mains side of our family...oh, and of course we can't forget to mention that it also entailed Dee finally getting to take his precious car home. I call it the old crappy car. Dee calls it the old love of his life. Whatever you call it, it's old, has no A/C, and my ass has never sweat so much riding around sitting on white leather in the middle of the July heat with no A/C. But it means the world to him since it was his first car, and he and his dad fixed it up, and now it will forever be with us since we finally have a 3 car garage to store it!

My favorite part of the trip this time? Aside from replenishing our Huckleberry supply :)...we visited the Bickleton Carosel Museum where I got to learn so much more about my hubby's home town, his family, and the good ole wheat farmin' ways.

That's right. I married a farm boy...and proud of it. He comes from one of those idyllic towns where everybody knows everybody, almost everyone is a wheat farmer, and families all live on the same farm, yet they can't even see each others houses because there's more than 7000 acres of WHEAT! Oh, and I can't fail to mention that his HS graduating class was all of I think 6 people. :) Here's Dee right outside his parents house...



The museum stores the original carosel horses that are nearly a hundred years ole. Here we are with my personal favorite one...


The museum also portrays much of what makes Bickleton...well, Bickleton. That'd be mostly farmin'! Here's the fam. My father in law is the one in the white T-shirt.


Trucks, combines, and tractors...oh my!


The museum also houses the rules women teachers had to abide to in 1915. Needless to say, no way would that have worked for me...I could agree to everything except #4 forbidding women to loiter in ice cream stores.


We also spent time with the nephews!

My absolute favorite part of the entire trip was getting to read and learn all about Dee's grandma, Ethel Mains, in the town museum. I wish so very much that I could meet the incredible woman who I now know is the reason my husband is so full of childish humor, laughter, and smiles. The one thing everyone said about her was that she was so very kind, friendly, and always laughing...and that's Dee!

Hope everyone had a great fourth!

Love,

Stephanie & Dee

2 comments:

  1. You have Snickers, Dee has his car. Sounds fair to me!

    ReplyDelete