Saturday, May 17, 2014

Baby Mains #1 Pregnancy Memories

As we anxiously (and not so patiently!) await the arrival of our first child, Dee and I wanted to spend some time capturing some of our memories of this first pregnancy. We're certain we'll have so many special memories with Ava and our future children that soon we'll forget nearly everything about this pregnancy...so, here we are documenting them forever to remember! We also thought it would be fun to each do this separately and then combine :)

Stephanie's Memories:

  • The day I suspected I was pregnant, took the test thinking "there's no way," only to find two very bold lines appear...the feeling in my heart is one I'll never forget. Falling to my knees shortly thereafter to thank The Lord for this incredible blessing I'll never forget either
  • Surprising Dee with the pregnancy test wrapped up as a birthday present - his response to me handing him the wrapped present..."Hun, you shouldn't have!" If only I were witty enough to respond with "you did it to me!" A phrase I've since used countless times :)
  • Dee and I telling my parents they are going to be grandparents via Face Time....being able to actually see their reaction! They were watching a movie and eating pizza and we told them that Paisley had something to show them, so we put the camera on Paisley who had a sign around her neck reading "I'm going to be a big sister!" They said "no way!" and cried and kissed each other and told us how incredibly excited they were. 
  • Seeing baby for the first time...forever captured in this video :) there are no words to describe the feeling of seeing what's growing inside you...an incredible miracle! And seeing her bounce was just too cute!


  • Getting the phone call on a Friday night in October (~11 weeks pregnant) from my endocrinologist that my routine lab work came back with extremely elevated calcium and parathyroid hormone levels - indicating a tumor growing on one of my parathyroid glands and Dee rushing me to the ER
  • Flying down to Orange County at 12 weeks pregnant to see one of the best perinatologists to figure out what to do about my "hyperparathyroidism" that was never supposed to allow me to get pregnant. It was then that I received confirmation I would need to have surgery or lose my baby.
  • Having the parathyroidectomy the Tuesday before Thanksgiving at 16 weeks pregnant at UCSF...my parents flying in and doing their very best to take my mind off worrying about my 80% chance of miscarrying and undergoing serious surgery while pregnant by putting us up in the Ritz at Union Square and taking me maternity clothes shopping.
  • Going to the specialty ultrasound boutique the Friday after Thanksgiving with Dee and my family where we got to see baby, and the relief I felt seeing she was alive and had survived my body trying to kill her! We also got confirmation that she was a GIRL!!!
  • Dee getting to feel and see baby kick for the first time in January
  • Getting miraculously cleared from Vasa Previa by my paranatoligst in February - hurray for the chance at a normal birth!!
  • My baby shower thrown by my incredible friend Teri, which my mom, mother in law and two aunts flew in for - making it all the more special. It was also special for my mom and mother in law to be able to feel baby Ava kick :)
  • Putting together the nursery with Dee - I so love how he cared about every piece of it. He even painted four different shades of pink on the wall so we could be certain to get the perfect shade!
  • Buying maternity clothes - why didn't I buy them sooner? Rest assured, I'll be wearing them for the rest of my life....comfiest dresses ever! I have lived in dresses even through the winter, with the exception of a few leggings.
  • Cravings: strawberries, vanilla almond granola, bagels and cream cheese, and more strawberries! Once getting cleared of gestational diabetes, I've definitely indulged in Cold Stone's Cookie Dough Ice Cream a time or two or ten as well. ;)
Dee's Memories:
  • I came home from a day at work to find Steph with a surprise birthday present.  Opening the gift, it was a pregnancy test... and it was positive!  At first I thought it might be Steph trying to get my hopes up, but when she confirmed it was real, I was completely overjoyed.  Best birthday gift ever!
  • I couldn't wait to tell our families.  For the parents and siblings that had iPhones, we made a cute little poster for Paisley to hold that said "I'm going to be a big sister"  When we got to FaceTime with them... of course they thought we were getting another puppy!  Then when it sunk in, there was a lot of happy congratulating, and maybe a few joyful tears.
  • The Bounce - when we were able to see Ava for the second time, the doctor was beginning the ultrasound and pointing things out for us.  All of the sudden, she did a big bounce!  It just reminded us of the incredible person we were able to create and that she may already have a personality. :)  Lucky for us, we even got it recorded on video (above).
  • While Steph was at the UCSF Hospital, the doctor told us that the surgery itself would only take 20 minutes, but then there would be some additional time for sutures and cleanup.  So Steph's parents and I were in the waiting room anxiously awaiting any news from the doctor.  I went up to the desk after an hour to see if she had left any notes of progress with them, but there wasn't anything.  After 3 hours, I go back to the front desk and ask again, and they said they just got out of surgery, and the doctor is making her way down to see us right then.  I was so relieved when the doctor said everything went fabulously, and the parathyroid hormone dropped right away!  I knew that Steph would be lonely and scared being by herself, so we went up to see her right away.  The only thing left to get over was the recovery, but I knew that everything was okay. 
  • Feeling Ava kick for the first time - It was so incredible to be able to (almost) physically touch her and see her presence.  It reminded me of the greatest blessing that God has provided for us.
  • Being cleared of Vasa Previa - Just one more hurdle that had gotten in our way, but again it gave us great perspective of how God is blessing us.
  • Finishing the nursery - Both of us had put in days and days of effort into making the nursery perfect.  Steph had the master plan worked out in her mind, and I did my best to make it so. 
  • First small contraction - when Steph said that she was feeling some contractions my heart jumped and I got into "coach" mode, asking for how long did they last, and getting her to use her deep breaths to tell me when they start and stop.  This was the point where it really sunk in that we were going to be parents to a baby soon, and I couldn't wait for her to be here.
     
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment