As I finish typing this blog post (it takes a lot of starting and stopping due to the numb fingers....lovely pregnancy symptom), we're 18 hours away from baby's due date of May 14th!
Am I excited? I was...until I read that less than 10% of first time mothers deliver on their due date, and that more than 50% deliver the week between 41-42. WHAAAAAAT?!?!? You mean I could still be hobbling around feeling like death for another two weeks 1 day and 6 hours?!?! No no no no no no no....I won't do it! Get her OUT!
That's kind of what goes on in my head :)
In reality, I am so immeasurably thankful to God that a. this baby actually survived my body legitimately trying to kill her the first 4 months, and 2. she's made it full term and, from what the doctors can tell, is perfectly healthy. PRAISE GOD!
Also in reality, my patience is wafer thin and my tolerance for feeling like a 230 pound geriatric obese whale is seriously waning. I just want to hold my baby!
The, let's just call it, "discomfort" (though, that's putting it quite mildly) has actually taken away much of my anxiety about labor. I'm ready for whatever amount of pain lies ahead of me, as long as it means my baby girl is mere hours from being in my arms. I am a bit nervous given she's appears to have her daddy's genes in terms of size...it's looking like she will be a 8.5+ pound baby (Dee was a 9.5 pound baby, while I was 7 pounds (and two weeks late to boot))!
Here she and I are at 39 weeks (don't mind the furry photobomber) :)
I pray every day that today is the day she decides to make her entrance. Aside from the "discomfort" and lack of patience in wanting to meet my baby, I am extremely emotional these past two weeks or so. If one more WOMAN says something to me about my baby being big/huge, me being huge, labor being far away because I'm still carrying high....or any other comments that only add to my anxiety, I will seriously snap. No one has said anything remotely uplifting to me - I'd rather people not say anything at all!! That last month of pregnancy, all any pregnant woman wants to hear is "you're so close!" and "congrats!, I bet you can't wait!" I'll be sure to remember this experience so that when I see women about to pop, I can lift their spirits by saying something positive and uplifting.
Yesterday, May 11th, was my very first mother's day. It was so special, despite the fact that she didn't want to make that day her birthday :)
Dee got me a very thoughtful gift - a bunch of bath and body products knowing I've had to put my love of scalding hot baths on hold these last 10 months (seriously, I took them EVERY day). I'm very much looking forward to using them! And Ava got me a sweet book that I can't wait to read to her.
Did you know that ~60% of women believe mothers day counts even if you're "only" pregnant, while that same percentage of men don't think it counts? Lots of first time pregnant MOMS out there were disappointed to not be celebrated yesterday based on that poll. I'm glad I married one of the men in that 40% that know much better. My child is alive inside me, living off me (taking ALL my energy), and due to be born any day/hour/minute now...if that doesn't make a woman a mother, what does?! So, make sure you say Happy Mother's Day to all your first time pregnant friends and family out there...
Here's to hoping one of next posts is that baby has arrived!!! :)
Thinking about you guys often! You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We are expecting a baby girl in June and I totally understand what you mean about the end! Praying she comes soon and everything goes smoothly for both you and her. Any more issues with the Vasa Previa? Love, Katie and Justin and all the little Carter's
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Katie! We think of and pray for you all often too. We're so happy for your growing family and can't wait to meet your newest additions! We're hoping we get to make it to WA for the family reunion this summer (assuming doctor okays air travel), so hopefully we will get to see you guys! I'll be praying for you as you anxiously await the birth of you next little girl here in June. I was cleared of Vasa Previa in March (which is apparently a very rare occurrence) - yet another incredible demonstration God has showed us of the power of His miracles and just how in control He is. We are beyond thankful to be expecting a natural birth with no known complication at this point. Blessings to you all! Love, the Mains Family
Delete