Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Greyson Lee Enters the World

This post is far overdue, as Greyson is nearly seven months old...but, our lives have been just a tad busy adjusting to life as a family of four :)

Greyson Lee entered this world on Friday, September 9, 2016 at 6:35pm after 20.5 hours of labor. Due to my gestational diabetes I had to be induced at 39 weeks, which was September 9th. I was scheduled to go that morning at 6AM for the induction, and I was hoping for a labor of just over 18 hours so that Greyson and Daddy could share the same birthday of September 10th. But, God had other plans.

My amazing Aunt Darryln had flown up from SoCal on September 8th, offering to watch Ava and take care of our house while we were at the hospital. I don't know what we would have done without her. That same day, I had my final appt with my OB where she determined my body was not even remotely ready for labor, so she changed plans to have me induced that evening instead of the next morning (OB's don't like to work on the weekends it seems!).

My pregnancy hormones were running high, and I was quite emotional driving to the hospital at 9pm on a Thursday night, as I hated the idea of inducing my body when it wasn't the slightest bit ready. I was told of how the chance for complications and emergency c-sections greatly increases and I wanted none of it. So, I prayed that God would somehow send my body into labor naturally. Just as I continued to pray that God would protect Greyson from the gestational diabetes I could never get fully in control of, even with copious amounts of insulin and eating barely any carbs!

To top it all off, Dee was coming down with a nasty cold! He checked me into the hospital, listened to the initial exam where it was confirmed I wasn't dilated or effaced at all, and then went home to rest (per my insistence), so that he could hopefully kick the cold and be somewhat coherent for the birth of his son the next day.

As I laid in the hospital bed waiting for the nurse to bring me the induction medicine, I suddenly started having contractions! I was checked, and I was completely effaced and starting to dilate! So much so, that they couldn't give me the medicine. So, they instead went to go get the pitocin to make the contractions I started to have more consistent. About 30 minutes later they return, and lo and behold my contractions were so consistent and strong they couldn't administer pitocin. Here I was in active labor naturally and all within minutes of my induction. The Lord had answered my prayers!

I labored all night, which proved to be quite challenging on my own, but I was thankful Dee could be resting and was hopeful he could kick the cold. By 5AM, after 8 hours of labor, I couldn't stand the pain involved in the cervical checks anymore so I begged for the epidural. The nurse kindly obliged to my request of squeezing her hand while the needle went in :)

Around 9AM, Dee, Ava, and Aunt DD came to see me, and I was very sad to see Dee so sick. We determined it was best for him to stay away and my aunt to stay with me instead, as we didn't want me to get a cold right as my body was already so weak. I got one last very emotional snuggle with Ava, and Daddy and Ava set off for a day of fun activities together.


What a mixture of emotions that last snuggle was - pure joy for the fact that her sibling was soon to enter the world; but, also, pure sadness that she and I would no longer be just the two of us.

Once the epidural was in, my body halted labor. All the pitocin in the world wouldn't allow my body to progress, so my doctor asked me to consider a c-section. I opted instead for the doctor to break my water, a risk she wasn't too fond of me taking (for risk of cord prolapse), but I knew in my heart it was the right decision. Well, that didn't only allow my body to progress, it sped it up with lightening speed. Greyson was born a mere 90 minutes following my water breaking. I'll never forget the doctor telling me, "oh my goodness, you're ready to push, he's nearly out...call your husband!" We called, but it wasn't enough time. Greyson Lee was born at 6:35pm after only two pushes! He was 8 pounds, 9 ounces and 23 inches long.

Dee was there minutes after, and luckily the hospital got him suited up with a drape, mask, and gloves so he could hold his son.

Greyson screamed with all his might from birth....and pretty much has not stopped since ;)

We were so grateful to God that Greyson was born perfectly healthy. His apgar scores were 9/9, and his blood sugars were perfect. They discharged us exactly 24 hours after delivery!

It was a rough...very rough...first few weeks home with him, but we'll save that story for later.

We love you Gresyon. You've filled our lives more than we ever thought possible...your smile warms our hearts more than anything else, and your giggle...it's simply just the best sound we've ever heard!

First snuggle with mama:

Snoozing after his first bath:

Our cute little chunk!

Be still my heart! Ava holding Greyson for the first time <3


The first time he allowed me to put him down without screaming...it lasted a whole two seconds


Snuggle time with both babies:


Milk drunk:

Ava got a lollipop for getting her flu shot and not crying at greyson's first check up!

Just hangin' with daddy....

Helping burp her baby brother:

A long and lean machine!

Don't let all these snuggle pictures fool you...this kid HATES sleeping. Unless you're holding him, then he tolerates it momentarily. ;)


More snuggle time with both babies:

First smile:

God bless our dear friends, the Greenhoe's, for lending us the Rock-n-Play...it was the only contraption in this universe Greyson would sleep in other than our arms. Dee and I literally traded off holding him for sleep the first few days of his life...this saved us!


I failed to get pictures of most of our visitors, but I did manage to remember to take at least one of our dear Miss Debi visiting! Debi is so special to me, and this picture just warms my heart so much! <3

Mimi snuggles!


Boompa snoozing snuggles!



Her name is Super Mimi!

Mimi and Boompa were so generous to gift Ava this playset for her birthday, and Boompa and Daddy put it together during their visit for Greyson's birth!

More Boompa Snoozes!

Tummy Time with Boompa <3

Cooking with Mimi <3

Mimi Snuggles

That wraps up the first three weeks of Greyson's life. I'll catch up on all the rest here soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment