Sunday, October 7, 2012

August & September = The Months of Miracles

It's officially been way too long since we last posted, but such is life I guess...you have periods where you're running around so insane that - poof - two, three months have flown by.  But all is perfectly well with the crazy Mains' :)

We have been very open about the health struggles this year brought us, and we just can't thank everyone enough for all of the prayers and support through it. Being told you have a very high chance of cancer and then being told you face serious surgery makes you evaluate every piece of your life. In hindsight, I'm so thankful for this speedbump put in our lives. It truly has added so much perspective and so many blessings that could never have existed before.

We are ecstatic to report that in the months of August and September, Stephanie went for her surgery consultation at UCSF. After reviewing all of the past year's labs, scans, and biopsies, the surgeon confirmed that one of either two things were happening: either a tumor was in fact growing on a parathyroid gland (which are themselves no more larger than a grain of rice), or all of them were overstimulated for some unknown reason. She would either remove the tumor or reduce the size of each gland. Before doing so, she ordered a final MRI and bloodwork.

I'll never forget the phone call I received telling me that ALL signs of the disease were gone. There was no longer a visible lump on my parathyroid, and my blood levels were all restored to within the normal range. After 15 months of bloodwork being taken nearly every six weeks, I was shocked. The surgeon told me I was one of very few, and even joked I should play the lottery that day (I didn't). I knew it wasn’t something of chance, but something of a miracle instead. I have never doubted the power of God, and never will.

I will have to get checked every six months for the rest of my life, but that's nothing.

After countless doctor’s visits, countless needles, countless ultrasounds and scans, and thousands of dollars, the entire ordeal is o.v.e.r. Praise God. I’ve had no anxiety about it since. Many incredible things have come out of this experience, for which I am so grateful. One of which I am going to pour my heart and soul into – my passion for health – for REAL food, for food being the quickest form of medicine or the slowest form of poison. I’m currently working on a project that I can’t wait to unveil in the next few weeks, and I truly hope it changes people’s lives for the better.

We hope everyone had a wonderful summer. Ours sure ended great with this miracle, and we are so incredibly excited for fall and winter and to embrace them with no fear of our health, but with thankfulness for this beautiful and rich life we live.

Love,

Steph & Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment